Dusts

Dusts

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Purpose Driven Life

Blog Your Blessings Sunday

The past week was quite emotional for me. I have often detected disappointment from my father's voice whenever he speaks about my life. I resigned from my job more than a month ago. Since then, he already expressed his opinions on what career I should focus on next. My mother on the other hand would have difficulty telling her friends that I already quit my job. Both of them are often quick to add "she will pursue a masters degree" phrase after telling someone that I am at present, jobless. Being their only child, I understand they only have high expectations for me.

These observations made me doubt my purpose in life. Am I really living a life without a purpose? An empty life? Am I a failure because I no longer work? I quit, I was not fired. I decided to quit because I was not happy, I have no peace of mind and I do not find fulfillment in what I do. I may not have a work now. but I have the most challenging job, being a mother to my daughter.

People find fulfilment in different ways. For some it is their lucrative career, high paying job, big house, new car. But for me, I find fulfillment in my family. Living a simple life with my husband and my daughter, raising my kid into a good person, nurturing the relationship with my husband. I am not a career oriented person, evidently, I am a family oriented individual. Being a hands on mom is no joke. I am a teacher, a story teller, a playmate, a cook, a cleaner, a companion, a guidance counselor, a party host, etc. I could go on with the lists of the role I play being a mother. But my parents take this for granted. For them, the paycheck, the career is the end point. Because they believe that they are successful in raising me only when I have a career and a fat paycheck they can brag about.

The third day question to consider of The Purpose Driven Life book by Rick Warren is: What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want to be?

The driving force of my life is my daughter and my husband. I have often referred to them as my strength. What do I want to be? The best mother in my child's eye, and a loving and nurturing wife in my husband's heart.

"... all achievements are eventually surpassed, records are broken, reputations fade and tributes are forgotten (from the Purpose Driven Life)." And I add, except raising a child into a good person and nurturing the family with love, affection and attention.

Come to think of it, maybe my parents also want to be "the best parents" in my eyes, we have just misunderstood each other.

2 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

For years I confused my own sense of purpose with others' expectations and judgments. When I faced the truth that I am the only one who can live my life, things fell into place.

Quick opinions and expressions of disappointment can be so very hurtful.

Believe in yourself always.

Happy BYB Sunday.

Anonymous said...

The only person you can be is yourself.

A belated happy BYB Sunday and have a good week.