Dusts

Dusts

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Blog Your Blessings Sunday: One man's trash is somebody else's treasure

I have been thinking about cleaning my closet but I was too lazy to start it. However, when my aunt mentioned that the church she is associated with invited some indigent families on December 23, and the church members are encouraged to bring used items to share it with them, I gladly started cleaning out my closet at once.

While going through my things, I was overwhelmed with a lot of emotions. Every piece of clothing has a sentimental value, which makes it more difficult for me to let go of. But I have set my mind that the things that does not see the front of my drawer or cabinet will have to go. In no time, I have 3 big bags full of old clothes, bags and shoes which were only kept for sentimental reasons. It is sad to let go of the things that brings back the past, but the thought of being able to clothe other people is more than enough compensation. Besides, i am not letting go of the memories, just the symbols. Because the memories will forever be embedded in my heart.

I may not have the happiest christmas this year because one member of my family is away, but I am sure that I have made someone smile through my "trash".

I promise to do this every year. And when I am more stable financially, I will be giving more than just used things.

5 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

This is a great idea. I had a neighbor who had a three-month rule. If he didn't wear or use something in three months, he gave it away. Here where the seasons change every three months, we extend that a bit. So I find if I haven't worn something or used it in a year, off it goes to someone who can use it. It creates a good feeling! God bless.

Unknown said...

it's always good to declutter especially if helping out another in the process

definitely looking to do more for charity in the year ahead

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea - we used to do that every Christmas as a child - clothes and toys.

Happy BYB Sunday

Blue Panther said...

It can be difficult at times to get rid of things that have sentimental value to us, but as you rightly said, they are only symbols and the memories live in our heart forever.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Marjo said...

God bless you my dearest friend. Last Saturday, our school held its annual "Pasko sa Barrio" outreach program and I was as overwhelmed as you are for finding myself more blessed than some people. Even when sometimes I keep on whining over somethings that others may even consider a blessing.

Merry Christmas! Hope to see you soon.