Dusts

Dusts

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A telenovela entitled Philippine Politics

A few hours ago, former President Joseph Estrada, convicted of plunder , was given by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo,full pardon. Just a few weeks after being convicted, and after the appeal on his case was withdrawn, the full pardon was finally given by the President.

The decision was met with various reactions by the Filipino people. On my part, I was stunned. It was too sudden for me. I have followed the case way back when then President Estrada was being impeached. Had I been in Manila during the time when the envelope was decided not to be opened, I would have joined the people in the streets in protest. I was never fond of Estrada and his family, so when he was convicted, I rejoiced. Finally, I thought, justice was given. But now, he gets a full pardon. Some said it was a compassionate justice, to which I would ask, how about the ailing prisoners in Muntinlupa, where is compassionate justice? For some it is a move for political reconciliation? Again, I would ask, what about political justice and rule of law? For some it might be because President Gloria Arroyo hopes that when she gets convicted with the various accusations of graft being thrown at her, she would also be granted full pardon. And I would ask, When will she get convicted?

Politics here in the Philippines is like a "telenovela". Full of scheming characters, the villains usually are the one in power, while the main character is being used, abused, or taken for granted. Despite the main characters misfortune, he remains hopeful and believing. He still finds ways to be happy, to live and to make a difference. I am sure that the main character in this telenovela entitled Philippine Politics, is the Filipino people. And I am sure that any one who reads this will know who are the villains.

Just like any telenovela, in the end, the main character emerges victorious and vindicated.

Will the Filipino people experience this victory and vindication? I believe yes. The only question is when?

In my own way, I will try to make a difference. In the coming Baranggay election, I will cast my vote. I will vote for someone who I believe could help the main character find victory and vindication in this life long telenovela.

No comments: