Dusts

Dusts

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Personal Space

I was busy scrubbing the floor today when the thought of personal space kept on entering my mind. The wood parquet must have felt how intense I was scrubbing it,but even if it screamed from pain, I wouldn't hear it.

How much space does a man need? A question which was asked in the book "Body Language The essential Secrets of Non Verbal Communication" by Julius Fast. It was mentioned in the book that " we staked out a territory in our mind". According to the book, each of us possess zones of territory, and if someones breaks this "zones of territory", we feel threatened and uneasy. He made an example on how we divide a table when eating out. Unconsciously, we divide the table in half, one half for us and half for the other person. How we guard our zones and how we agress to other zones, it says, shows an integral part of how we relate to other people.

But, when that zone of territory is not unconsciously drawn, but infact, established from the start? Does it still need a verbal claim that it is yours? Should you draw the line, shouldn't the other person draw the line on her own? Doesn't your personal things spell out that this particular territory is yours?

I could go on scrubbing the wood until my hand bleeds, but I wouldn't have the answer, unless, I confront the situation.

So much whining. About time that I stand up and really face it. The more I think about it, the more uneasy i get, and the pressure is building inside my chest.
If I don't stand up now, I'd be the loser in the end...

2 comments:

Marjo said...

What's the whining all about my dear?

Unknown said...

for japanese, personal space is a very important concept indeed

if someone is not blind, deaf & stupid - he/she would be able to know when he/she is intruding another's personal space...